Parents have a right to know what their children are learning in schools, especially when it comes to sexual health education. Currently, Nevada does not require medically accurate and age-appropriate sex ed.
The best sexual health education is a partnership between parents and school districts. But in order for parents to play a role in their teen’s sexual health education, the parents must be knowledgeable about the sex ed. curriculum that is taught in schools. Nevada needs a state law that will hold schools accountable and assure parents and youth that the sex ed. being taught is medically accurate and age-appropriate.
As a parent, your voice is vital to this movement. The Nevada Teen Health and Safety Coalition is comprised of parents, youth, medical professionals, and advocates across the state who believe that medically accurate and age-appropriate sex ed. will help keep youth healthy and safe. You can make your voice heard and be an advocate for all youth in Nevada.
As a parent you can:
- Sign our petition.
- Talk to your legislator about why sex ed. is important to your family. (Find your legislator.)
- Write a letter to the editor in your community.
- Organize a house party to educate other parents about the need for a real sex ed. law in Nevada.
- Come to our lobby day in Carson City.
- Share your story with our campaign.
If you’re interested in joining the movement, email firstname.lastname@example.org.